Hello World, Marc Here:
I’ve been meaning to get into some serious Akira Kurosawa for a long time now. Having only seen Seven Samurai, I realize I am waaay light on my Kurosawa. So what better way to finish off the year/holiday season and become better versed in the work of such a legendary filmmaker (who would have turned 100 this year) than to than make an event around it? That said I am launching something called the 12 Days of Kurosawa.
Starting today I’m going to watch a different film of his (his 12 best) each day which will takes me right to December 24th. On Christmas Day, I’ll post a little blurb about all 12 films. Since I could only name about 3 of his movies, Marcello at Japan Cinema‘s Top 10 Akira Kurosawa Films helped me figure out where to start. For those of you interested, here’s the header for this even and line up below:
- December 13 – Kagemusha…..(2.5 out of 4.0)
- December 14 – Throne of Blood…..(3.75 out of 4.0)
- December 15 – Ran…..(3.5 out of 4.0)
- December 16 – Madadayo…..(3.0 out of 4.0)
- December 17 – Ikiru…..(3.5 out of 4.0)
- December 18 – Drunken Angel…..(3.5 out of 4.0)
- December 19 – Stray Dog…..(3.75 out of 4.0)/High and Low….. (4.0 out of 4.0)
- December 20 – Yojimbo…..(4.0 out of 4.0)
- December 21 – Sanjuro…..(3.75 out of 4.0)
- December 22 – Rashomon (2.75 out of 4.0)
- December 23 – The Hidden Fortress (3.25 out of 4.0)
- December 24 – Seven Samurai (4.0 out of 4.0)
- December 25 – Christmas Day!!…oh, and the post with my short review of each film:)
Now I’m excited to start this but I don’t have to be the only one having fun. If anyone is interested in taking part, you don’t have to do all 12, you don’t even have to write a review. All this really is an attempt to enjoy some films you’ve never seen before. If you do want to join in, take the header above and place it in your post or share it with friends. Either way it should be exciting and I’ve been looking forward to this for a while now.
Here’s to 100 years of Kurosawa!! Can’t wait to let you know my findings (and fingers crossed that I like Yojimbo/Sanjuro since I bought the Criterion Blu Ray versions sight unseen). Stay tuned, there’s more to come!!